This injectable medication is typically prescribed with diet and exercise to help control blood sugar in type 2 diabetics and for weight management.
Semaglutide mimics the effects of GLP-1, a naturally occurring hormonal substance that causes the following:
1. Insulin production is stimulated to regulate blood sugar.
2. It inhibits the release of glucagon, which slows the release into the blood of sugar, leading to the body burning more fat.
3. Feel fuller for longer with slow gastric emptying.
4. Reduces appetite (because it makes you feel full).
These effects work together to help you manage your weight and blood sugar. They can also help you burn more fat and feel less hungry.
Is Semaglutide the Same as Insulin?
No. Semaglutide is not effective for people with type 1 diabetes and does not replace insulin. Semaglutide can be used in conjunction with insulin to help manage blood sugar levels for people with type 1 diabetes.
Is Semaglutide Safe?
Semaglutide, when taken according to prescription, is safe and has a low risk of serious adverse events. It can be taken by the majority of people, says the FDA. Semaglutide is more dangerous for those with certain medical conditions.
These conditions include:
1. Medullary thyroid cancer (MTC), a type of thyroid cancer that occurs in the medulla.
2. Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2.
4. Type 1 diabetes.
Use Semaglutide with caution if you are taking other medications to lower your blood sugar.
This article was written by a medical professional at Florida Medical Pain Management. Florida Medical Pain Management is proud to be your weight loss clinic St Petersburg FL offering Pain and weight Management to a diverse group of patients. Patients at Florida Medical Pain Management can get help managing hip, knee, leg, and neck pain. The practice also offers comprehensive arthritis management, along with treatments for auto accidents, sports, and work injuries.